At the turn of a new season, it’s time to invest in staple pieces to make your wardrobe feel refreshed. But just as you might treat your wardrobe to an upgrade, have you thought about giving yourself a beauty reboot too? Nail care for natural nails is a great place to begin, taking time to nourish and reset your bare and beautiful nails. Let’s dive into some of the best ways that you can give your natural nails the love they deserve.
1. Appreciating the Natural Beauty of Your Nails
Your natural nails may be beautiful in their own right–with no added paint, nail polish, or nail art. Start by taking a moment to appreciate the color, shine, and texture of your nails as they are.
- Assess – Look closely at both your fingernails and toenails. Note any natural features, such as a unique shape, ridges, lines, and nail beds.
- Clean – Before touching your nails, make sure to wash your hands with warm water and soap.
- Treat – Nourish your nails with oil, cuticle cream, and a moisturizer. This will help keep them vibrant and looking their best.
Once your nails are clean and well-nourished, you may notice that they have a natural and unique beauty all their own. Take a minute to appreciate their strength and resilience.
Shape – In addition to their natural beauty, make sure to also keep your nails styled with a shape you like. File and trim your nails to the desired shape: whether you prefer squared, oval, or anything in between.
Finally, your nails may look best if left bare and polished on their own. To further highlight the beauty of your natural nails, you may choose to add a few ideas with a transparent or clear nail polish. The strategic use of nail polish adds subtle dimension and depth, while still keeping your nails natural-looking.
By taking time to appreciate your natural nails, you will be able to demonstrate beauty and strength–the best of both worlds!
2. How to Care for Your Natural Nails
Keep them clean
Caring for natural nails requires basic hygiene and maintenance. Keeping them clean is the most important part of the routine. Use a toothbrush and some moderate-proof nail polish remover to scrub dirt from underneath the nail. Make sure to clean the cuticle of the nail regularly to keep bacteria, dirt, and mites from your fingers away.
It is important to keep the fingernails hydrated. Natural oils such as olive oil, baby oil, and coconut oil can be used to moisturize the nails. Additionally, you can apply cuticle oil or a hand lotion to keep nails from becoming brittle or splitting.
Take a break from nail polish
Give your nails some breathing room from regular nail polish. Leaving them free from polish for a few days every week will help them retain their natural strength and color. Nail polish can wear away the protective layer of the nails making them weaker over time.
Give them a break from too much filing
Although regular filing is beneficial for nails, don’t overdo it. Your nails become thinner and weaker if you file them too often. Also, file the nails in one direction only to avoid damaging the edges. Use an emery board to shape your nails and a glass nail file to smooth out rough edges.
Use Natural nail strengthener
Using natural nail strengthener products can also help your nails stay healthy and strong. Look for products with plant-based ingredients like wheat protein and avocado oil. These nourish and fortify the nails and make them less prone to splitting and chipping.
Additionally, supplement your nail care routine with a diet full of essential vitamins and minerals to strengthen your nails from the inside out. Foods such as egg yolks, walnuts, and lean proteins are a great starting point to incorporate into your diet.
3. Tips for Strengthening Your Nails
There’s a definite sense of satisfaction and empowerment when you take a step back and admire well-manicured nails. While genes do play a role in the health of our nails, there are definitely things you can do to help strengthening your nails. Here are a few tips and tricks that can help your nails stay strong and healthy!
- Stay Hydrated: Our nails are made mostly out of keratin, which needs lots of water to stay hydrated and strong. Make sure to drink ample amounts of water every day to keep them looking healthy!
- Eat Well: Eating a nutritious balanced diet with plenty of vitamin A and C will help ensure your nails remain sturdy and healthy. Make sure to include plenty of lean proteins, dark leafy greens, and healthy fats.
- Protect Your Nails: Avoid detailed cleaning with harsh chemicals as they can dry out your fingernails. Instead, wear rubber gloves while scrubbing and dusting to protect your hands and nails.
Nail art might look pretty, but try to keep the frequency to a minimum. The frequently use of nail polish remover can lead to weakening and dehydrating of our nails. Letting your nails breathe not only allows them to recover, but also helps in the growth of healthy nails.
Last but not least, make sure to take your multivitamin supplements. Biotin supplements in particular are great for strengthening nails (indeed, many nail salons offer Biotin supplements for clients looking to strengthen their nails). With everyday care and these few tricks, you should start to notice a lot of improvements in your nails in no time.
4. Embracing the Power of Bare Nails
Sometimes it’s hard to keep up with the ever-changing nail trends. From intricate designs to glitter accents, it’s easy to forget the beauty of bare nails.
Go minimalist by . Here are several reasons why:
- Bare nails are timeless: Ditching the fads means having a versatile look that you can wear again and again.
- Bare nails are versatile: Play up your bare nails with any clothing style and accessories for a classic look.
- Bare nails are low-maintenance: When you don’t have to worry about nail designs, breakage, or fading – you’ll save time and money.
From celeb-style to everyday looks, bare nails can easily be dressed up or down. Pop a neutral shade onto your fingertips, like beige or cream, and then accessorize your look with a printed top or colorful scarf.
Not ready to ditch the glam yet? That’s perfectly fine too! Here’s another way to enjoy the benefits of bare nails – try out nude tones such as dusty pink or pale peach. Not only are these hues reminiscent of a romantic sunset, but they are softer and less noticeable than a typical French manicure.
Whatever look you choose, bare nails are here to stay. So don’t be afraid to embrace the power of what nature already gave you!
Nails are often seen as an extension of style and open the door to some fun beauty experimentation. Yet they don’t have to be colored or decorated; by taking a little extra care, our natural nails can be strong, healthy, and beautiful too. So take a break from treatments, and take a look at what it means to embrace our bare, natural beauty.