Everybody loves pretty nails, but going to the salon can be time consuming and expensive. Well, don’t worry, because achieving salon-worthy nails at home is now possible with this easy and convenient step-by-step guide. In this article, you can read all about how to make a DIY manicure, so you can get the perfect nails you’ve been dreaming of – no salon visits needed!
1. Preparing for a DIY Manicure
is a straightforward and cost-effective process. Before you dive in, take out the following essential items to begin.
- Nail file/pusher/cuticle nippers: Make sure to choose a nail file that works best for you. You may find that a heavier, thicker file is more satisfactory. Also, get yourself a pusher to gently push back your cuticles. Lastly, get a set of cuticle nippers to trim away excess cuticles.
- Base coat/top coat/nail polish: Choose the base and top coat that aligns with your nail condition. Base and top coats act like an insurance policy for your nails by helping to protect them from damage due to everyday activities. Don’t forget to select the perfect nail polish color to complete the manicure.
- Cotton balls/nail polish remover: Get yourself a pack of cotton balls and your favorite nail polish remover to help clean up any smudges or errors. However, please be mindful of your nails’ sensitivity to acetone.
Beyond the key items, you may also find it helpful to have a few buffers and shiners to help give your nails an extra shine and cushion. Additionally, picking up a hydrating nail cream for moisturizing purposes might be advantageous as well.
Whether it’s your first time or tenth, preparing yourself for a DIY manicure is much easier than you probably thought. With the right items in your possession, you are just steps away from having a beautiful manicure.
2. Perfecting Your At-Home Nail Routine
Having an at-home nail routine doesn’t have to be a tedious process. With the right techniques and tools, mastering your DIY mani is easier than you think. Here’s how to up your nail game for chic, salon-worthy results every time.
Choose the Right Products
The key to nail perfection is investing in the right products. Start with a high-quality base coat and top coat, and look for polishes that are chip-resistant, long-lasting and easy to apply. In addition, pick up acetone-free nail polish remover to take off old polish without drying the nails.
Create a Prep and Clean-Up Station
The next step is to create a little workspace for your at-home manicure. Choose a flat, sturdy surface and have a cotton pad, cuticle remover, nail file and buffer at the ready.
Clean and Nourish Before Painting
Before you start painting your nails, make sure to clean and nourish them. Soak your hands or feet in warm water for 10 minutes to soften the cuticles, get rid of any dirt or grime and relax the nails. Once your hands are dry, apply a few drops of cuticle oil to soften and nourish your nails before polishing.
Get a Perfect Mani Every Time
Now comes the fun part — painting your nails. Whenever you paint, make sure to follow these steps for the best results:
- Apply base coat and let it dry for a couple of minutes
- Start painting from the middle of your nails and move outwards
- Once you reach the tips, fill in any gaps with a second coat
- Let your nails dry for 10 minutes
- Apply a top coat to get an extra glossy finish
For a longer-lasting mani, make sure to wrap your tips when you’re done.
Crafting the perfect mani at home doesn’t have to be tricky. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be ready to host your own at-home spa nights in no time.
3. Achieving a Salon-Worthy Look from Home
Getting a salon-worthy look without leaving the comfort of home is becoming increasingly straightforward. With a few simple steps and some high-quality products, anyone can make themselves look their best.
Identify Your Look
Start by deciding what you’d like to achieve. If it’s big bouncy curls, sleek straight locks, or something in between, it’s important to understand what your desired outcome is. This could mean researching styles online or taking inspiration from celebrities as a reference.
Choose the Right Products
The foundation of achieving salon-level style is a well thought out product selection. Invest in good quality shampoo and conditioner specifically tailored to your hair type. In addition, heat protectant sprays can help minimize damage resulting from using hot styling tools.
If you’re looking for a particular style, such as voluminous curls, look for products specifically designed for achieving this. Products such as styling mousses and curl creams can make it easier to craft your desired style.
DIY It Right
Knowing what products to use and how to use them is key when creating a professional-looking style. Here are some tips to help you get results like the pros:
- Prepare damp hair by using product evenly throughout.
- Start styling from bottom to top.
- Experiment with drying techniques, such as scrunching and plopping.
- Use hot styling tools like curling and flat irons on low to medium heat.
- Take your time and use a couple of bobby pins to secure.
Finally, apply hairspray to fix the look in place and add shine, and there you have it – a salon-worthy look from the comfort of home!
4. Finishing Touches for DIY Manicures
Make Your Manicure Last
Once you’ve achieved the perfect polish, you’ll want your mani to last. To make this happen, let the polish dry for two to three minutes. Then, apply a top coat to seal the color and give your look a glossy finish.
DIY manicures are a sure way to save time and money, but with a few extra touches, you can make them look even more polished and professional. Here are a few tips for the perfect at-home manicure.
- Trim and buff your nails with nail scissors and an emery board or nail file
- Remove any filings with a lint-free nail wipe
After this, it’s time to start painting. Start at the center of the nail for a neater finish, and use a light touch for a more even base. As you build up the color, allow each layer time to dry; otherwise, you’ll be left with clumpy, uneven coats.
When you’ve finished painting your nails, use a cotton swab soaked in nail varnish remover to clear away any spilled varnish from the skin around your nails.
Finally, applying a nourishing cuticle oil as a base coat before painting your nails gives your manicure an extra shot of hydration.
By following the guide above, you will be on your way to beautiful, salon-worthy nails in no time. Go ahead and give it a try and show off your inner nail prodigy to your friends and family.